All You Need To Know About Canada’s Study Permit

If you want to study in Canada for a period exceeding 6 months and you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you’ll need a Study Permit.
Keep reading this article to know more about the process of going to Canada to study and how to obtain a study permit for Canadian studies.

The Study Permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC) that allows foreign students to come to Canada to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI). Mostly, foreign citizens require a study permit to study in Canada.

Note:- The study permit issued to you is not a visa. It won’t let you enter Canada. In most cases, you’ll need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTa)(DLI). separately. When your study permit is approved, you’ll be issued either a Visitor Visa or ETA as well.

Note:- If you live in Pakistan, India, China, Vietnam, Morocco, or Senegal, you can get your study permit quickly by applying through the Student Direct Stream (SDS).

What documents will you need?


You’ll need the following documents for applying for the Canadian Study Permit-

  • Evidence of AcceptanceYou must have a letter of acceptance issued by your school/college/university. You can provide either the original document or a photocopy of it with your application. When you’re provided conditional acceptance, you should take the necessary courses first. In such cases, a study permit is issued following the duration of the course plus one year. You’ll have to apply for a fresh study permit to increase your stay in Canada when you’ll get admitted into your primary program.
  • Evidence of Financial SupportYou’ll have to prove that you’ve sufficient funds to support your stay in Canada. For that, you can provide
  • Evidence of a bank account in Canada in your name (if you have shifted funds to Canada)
  • Bank statements for the last 4 months
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) issued by a Canadian Financial Institution
  • Confirmation of education or student loan taken from a bank
  • A letter from the individual/school providing you money
    Evidence you’ve paid tuition and housing fees
  • A bank draft that can be changed to Canadian Dollars
  • Evidence of funds paid from inside Canada itself, if you get a paying scholarship or are admitted to an educational program funded by the Canadian government.
Minimum Funds needed as a student and family members accompanying him outside Quebec for an entire year-

The person going to CanadaFunds needed yearly (additional to tuition fees) in Canadian Dollars
1st family member$4,000
Every additional family member accompanying the student$3,000

Minimum Funds required as a student and family members accompanying him in Quebec for an entire year-

No. of Family MembersRequired Funds in Canadian Dollars
1 Person$12,960
2 Person$16,135
3 Person$19,836
4 Person$24,083
5 Person$27,315
6 Person$30,806
7 Person$34,299

  • Evidence of IdentityYou need to have a valid passport/travel document and 2 passport size recent photos with name and date of birth written explicitly on the back of photographs. If any family member is accompanying you, he will also need to show identity proof.
  • A Certificat D’acceptation du Québec (CAQ)In case you’re planning to come to Québec, you’ll need a CAQ provided by the Gouvernement du Quebec.
    If Ministere de I’Immigration, de la Francisation et de I'Intégration (MIFI) has accepted your application for CAQ, but you haven’t got the CAQ, simply apply for a study permit attaching the acceptance letter you got from MIFI. You shouldn’t wait to apply for your application.
  • Letter of ClarificationYou should explain your reason to study in Canada and mention clearly that you’re aware of your responsibilities being a student. This letter will help the visa officer in assessing you and your goals.
  • Custodian DeclarationIn case the minor applicant needs a custodian, the Custodianship Declaration Form along with the application should be included. There are two pages in this form that need to be certified by a notary and the Custodian living in Canada need to sign the foremost page along with the signature of parent/legal guardian of minor in the home country on the last page.
  • More DocumentsYou might also need to submit additional documents depending on the situation.

How can you apply for a Study Permit?

Normally, candidates should apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. But some candidates are given the provision to apply from within Canada. It’s necessary on your behalf to check which option is accessible to you. You can apply either online or through paper application. But, an online application is better in many ways like you don’t have to incur any courier charges, your application can be processed swiftly and you’ll receive important updates about your application in your online account.

What is the fee?

The fee for a Canadian Study Permit is CAD 150. If you need to give biometrics, its fee is CAD 85.

What happens after you apply?

Your application will be checked thoroughly and if it’s incomplete your application won’t be processed further or you may be requested to submit missing documents. Mostly, candidates need to provide their biometrics (DLI) with the application. Once you submit your application with a biometrics fee, you’ll be forwarded a letter to give your biometrics. This letter will have all the information regarding how and where you have to give your biometrics. If your application is approved, you’ll get your study permit in your online account, or you will be asked to submit the passport or either at the time when you arrive in Canada. It may be mailed to you if you’re in Canada. If your application is rejected, you’ll be sent a letter explaining the reason for rejection. It’s always recommended to consult a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant or a Licensed Immigration Law Firm who could assist and guide you in your application process. Taking professional help will reduce the chances of visa application rejection. Our firm, SHARIQ IMMIGRATION has qualified staff to help you in your Canadian Study permit application. Even if you have had a previous rejection, we can help improve your second submission.